Friday, December 12, 2008

Sick Leave Request: Denied

from the mom

After feeling much better on the weekend, I came down with a new ailment on Monday. I ignored it for much of the day but by the time I went to bed, my throat was killing me again. Tuesday, the pain was shooting up into one ear and I was able to tell it was only one side of my throat. Weds, I told M I had to make sure I was going to live. Of course, my doctor's office is closed on Weds, so I ended up at urgent care. The doctor said we should watch and make sure it didn't abscess but that I should wait it out a few days. Lovely.

Ben has absolutely no sympathy for a sick mother. Kyri is a little more nurturing but she still needs help with the potty and her concern for me is overrided by her desire to eat 4-5 times a day. And to have some quality one-on-one time with me in the night. (She still likes to pick a time between midnight and 4am for a heart-to-heart.)

So I managed to supervise painting and decorating Christmas ornaments, some coloring, and keep meals on the table. And I did not call my mother or husband crying. (I called but I did not cry.) So what was the difference? A sudden toughness I've never exhibited before while sick? No. MEDICATION. I am neither pregnant nor nursing for the first illness I've had in 5 1/2 years. Tylenol, Advil. Good stuff.

Today I feel better. I can swallow again. The ear pain is nearly gone. I still need a nap, but I'll make it through without one. As usual. A Tylenol will help with the throat and I'll pretend I'm fine.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Poor lady. Thank goodness for medication.

Anonymous said...

Yeh. Tylenol. Feel better soon.
Judy