Thursday, May 05, 2005

Economy

from Ben's mom

Recently one of my husband's coworkers called him a "misogynist bastard" because he made reference to me being home without a car. She somehow thought our having one vehicle made him a terrible man who keeps his wife home all day. He laughed. He can let things like that roll off his back which is why he loves a job where he is referred to as a liar, Satan, etc... on a routine basis. (You try disputing the unions claim to control the workforce of this country.)

However, I was infuriated. "You tell her that this is much my decision as yours." Sputter, sputter. "And what's so horrible about being home all day?"

It has brought up an interesting point. Our society seems to be growing more and more materialistic. Whereas most of our parents started out in apartments as newly marrieds, many of our young friends have mortgaged their futures to start out in a house. And being a one-car family is like not having a cell phone. "Why?" When people offer to loan us a video and we politely tell them we have neither a television or a VCR, things get weirder. Oh, we don't own a couch either. We have three chairs that were all given to us.

Now, we do have a laptop, an internet connection, and a subscription to Christianity Today, which might all be considered luxury items. But we are doing our best to live simply, and within our means. And, because I stay home with Ben, our financial means are less. But I think our quality of living is better. There is less stress, home-cooked meals and Ben doesn't have to deal with the germs and influences of daycare.

I will admit to a little anxiety as to when we will own a house. Having company adds a little stress as I try to explain that our living room is the guest bedroom and the two single futon chairs are the guest bed. Or when we use the coffee table with a phone book as an extra chair at the dinner table. But I doubt this will be the case forever, and I never have to wonder if people love us or are just using us for our luxury accomodations! (HA!)

So to the woman Mike works with: I am a contented woman who is thankful her husband shares her perspective on finances and she doesn't have to deal with the stress of excessive debt or a fast-paced job that wears her out and makes her resentful of always being the one to make dinner at the end of the day. And, I get the car whenever I want.

3 comments:

Alison said...

Rachelle,

You are to be applauded for living within your means. Right now my husband is working for the local gas company while he waits on bar results. One of his latest tasks has been to turn off people for non payment. Last week he was turning off homes in the ritzy part of town. I also see similar situations at my job in the finance industry. Some of our wealthiest clients look the poorest and vice versa. Goes to show you that just because someone has it doesn’t mean they have the means to support it. Personally, I’d rather live with less and own what I have than be up to my eyeballs in debt. Keep up what you’re doing! :-)

~Alison

Anonymous said...

Co-worker was joking as much as I was when I said I didn't allow my wife to leave the house during the day.

But of course, your personal satisfaction with being a stay at home mom is moot. You have to submit to me regardless of how you feel about it.

Love you! =)

the Joneses said...

Boy, Mike, you're such a charmer. So did you give Rachelle a chance to say yes or no to your proposal, or had you fixed it all up with her dad first?

-- SJ