Saturday, August 21, 2021

Homeschool Year in Review 2020-21 (5th grade-Evie)

I haven't had time to post our review but as I put together transcripts and worked on course descriptions, I found looking over the last several years helpful. So I'm doing it again in abbreviated form. 

 Here is what Evie's course work looked like: 

God's Great Covenant: New Testament 1-The Gospels We really love this curriculum and how it is the reading of Scripture, thoughtful commentary, and worksheets that help solidify the reading. 

Horizons Math Evie hates change and really wants to stick with Horizons. I'm not entirely sure she is challenged enough, but I still think this is one of the better options out there. The spiral method is really helpful and it was good to keep coming back to concepts and reviewing. 

Latin for Children A Evie didn't want to take Latin, but there is a minimum of two years required for my two students. It was quite gratifying when midway through the year she admitted she really loved Latin. I love the rhythm and beauty of this program and having a teacher online (not interactive) for a lesson a week. I don't do the puzzles with Evie, but I do have her make the folders to help her solidify her learning. 

Story of the World Volume 3: Early Modern Times It's my third time through this curriculum and my last. I most love the activity book that has book lists for each chapter. Evie is a quick reader, and we get the most out of this aspect. 

Writing & Rhetoric: Chreia & Proverb and Refutation and Confirmation I've used all of these books with each of the kids, but with Evie, who had the least interest in writing, I wasn't sure how it would go. She loved these books, and her writing ability shot up this year. She has even started writing a book, just like her sister. Chreia focused on writing about a piece of wisdom advice and then she learned to refute something in a story that didn't fit or to confirm an aspect of a story. 

Elemental Science Chemistry While I liked this curriculum, which is really a guide to using encyclopedias, outside resources, and a lab guide, Evie was not thrilled with it. I think she would have preferred being able to find resources all in one book, and this is not that. For any science-minded kid or parent, this is an excellent program. For this non-STEM mom and daughter, it was a lot of work. However, Kyrie (see her post) liked it a lot, so it might be more about it being above Evie's grade level. 

Spelling Workout E I like that this curriculum allows us to easily accomplish a lot of learning in one or two sittings a week and that it focuses on the roots of words and the rules while not ignoring all the exceptions in English. Evie is my first kid who doesn't like spelling and I tried to analyze if that had anything to do with this program. I don't think it does, so we are going to continue on with it. 

Living Art Lessons This is a nice simple, but thorough curriculum, and was thoroughly below Evie's level. She is a painter, crafter, and had studied all of the concepts in this program previously. She did most projects, but changed and added them significantly. 

A Reason for Handwriting I thought this was a lovely curriculum with the opportunity to practice and write out Scripture. Evie really just doesn't care about handwriting, which seems odd for one so artistic. It was the right balance of very quick lessons, but since she doesn't feel it necessary to incorporate what she learns in her other work, next year, she will and not have a set curriculum. 

She lost all her extracurriculars except piano and since she tested at 97% introverted, she was absolutely fine with that. I'm still working out how to keep her more involved and develop her interest and I think she will do more art classes outside our home this year.


 


No comments: