Tuesday, December 31, 2019

The Books of 2019

Goodreads says I read 28 books in 2019....But I failed to document probably another 20-30 more I read to my kids, including three of James Herriot's books that Evie and I enjoyed together.  I've listed the twelve most memorable books I read this year.

It was a disappointing year for me in fiction. I read a few titles but tried some current writers and 2020 will take me back to classics for fiction. This is the best fiction title I read this year:

Things Left Unsaid by Courtney Walsh
A complex book for Christian fiction and even though the ending is fairly tidy, this tackles some tough issues and how we entangle our mistakes and preconceptions and cripple our present. This is worth the read just for its great portrayal of feeling undeserving and finding God's unconditional love in unlikely places.

A lot more great reading in the non-fiction department:

Interior Freedom by Jacques Philippe is my 2019 book-of-the year. A tiny little volume of 130-ish pages, my copy is highlighted throughout and will be read again and again as I revisit the necessary understanding that freedom comes in accepting others, myself, and suffering. Philippe is a wonderful guide, reminding us to live in the present moment and that love is a free gift of God to all of us.

A Light So Lovely: The Spiritual Legacy of Madeleine L'Engle introduced me to Sarah Arthur, a fabulous author. This beautiful biography of L'Engle, captures the essence of L'Engle while also tackling the tough question of why she glossed over a lot of her personal reality and painted a different picture of her family for the world. Arthur does this with grace and integrity, talking to members of L'Engle's family as well as her closest friends. The result is a portrait of a brilliant and faithful woman, flawed, but ennobled to leave a beautiful legacy.

Code Name: Lise. The True Story of the Woman Who Became World War II's Most Decorated Spy by Larry Loftis was an amazing story of how the brains, bravery, and stamina under torture saved the life of a brave spy. Loftis writes a good spy story and Odette, the brave woman who endured the Gestapo and Ravensbruck was a heroine of heroes. This was not always an easy read, but a remarkable portrayal of grit and sacrifice. 

Irresistible: The Rise of Addictive Technology and the Business of Keeping Us Hooked by Adam Alter is a necessary read for the 21st century. As many of grapple with the reality of screen addiction in our families and admit to ourselves that we don't like how technology has its hooks in us, this book brings awareness and information to help us forge a new path of balance. The author is clear--alcohol and drug addictions are won by total abstinence but tech addictions are a little more complicated. 

On the Road with St. Augustine: A Real-World Spirituality for Restless Hearts by James K.A. Smith is an honest, thoughtful read by a philosopher who writes like a novelist. Smith brings us into the most intimate corners of himself and shows us how Augustine was ahead of his time as an honest, struggling, saint on a path to know God better. Smith tackles my toughest questions about Augustine, his views on women and sex. This book is a great read for any struggling saint dealing with absent fathers, sinful desires, or hard questions. 

Bandersnatch: C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, and the Creative Collaboration of the Inklings by Diana Pavlac Glyer is not merely fascinating reading for any fan of Lewis, Tolkien or the other inklings. It is also one of the best books I've read on collaboration as key to the creative process. Examples of hurt feelings (to the point of losing members), but also a strong commitment to making each other better, this group of writers pushed each other to literary greatness. Especially interesting are examples of how Tolkien significantly edited and rewrote sections of Lord of the Rings because of the feedback he received. 

Them: Why We Hate Each Other by Ben Sasse is the book that assured me I wasn't alone in what I thought of my country, fellow-Americans and the current climate. If there is one person on Capitol Hill I can respect, it is Sasse, who walks a fine of line of integrity and compromise. Sasse is good at diagnosing the sickness, but more surprising, he offers a prescription for not allowing hate to disease your soul.

The Gospel in a Pluralist Society by Lesslie Newbigin while written 30 plus years ago has not lost its relevancy. Newbigin was a pastor and missionary and his experiences led to this thoughtful work on how to live out the Gospel amidst confusion, showing respect to people of all persuasions while not watering down the message of the Gospel.

Riding with Reagan: From White House to the Ranch by John Barletta was a gift we received when we toured the Reagan Ranch in May. Barletta was a key Secret Service agent who protected Ronald Reagan, particularly when he was on a horse. The two developed a key friendship and Barletta tells a story of a person whose public and private persona were one, whose staff were devoted to him for his kindness, integrity and humility. A beautiful read.

The Divine Plan: John Paul II, Ronald Reagan, and the Dramatic End of the Cold War by Paul Kengor and Robert Orlando, intrigued me. With a thoroughly Calvinist-sounding title about two figures, one decidedly not Calvinist, I wasn't sure I could trust this scholarship. But I've talked with Paul Kengor several times and know him to be a thorough scholar and I wasn't disappointed as this book laid out the relationship and commitment John Paul II and Ronald Reagan shared as they tackled an immense challenge of the late 20th century. They shared a solid understanding of what a commitment to freedom demanded and wanted to join in the work to help create a better world. The similarity in thinking, life experiences, and impact makes for an encouraging read in a discouraging era.

Love Your Enemies: How Decent People Can Save America from Our Culture of Contempt by Arthur Brooks continues the theme of 2019 for me. How can I be part of the solution and not the problem without lowering the flag on truth? Brooks delivers key examples that are locked into my brain, particularly a little story about cilantro that has provided a simple tool for me going forward.


As a footnote, my kids and I continued to love Sarah Arthur's devotionals, with our favorite so far being Walking Through the Wardrobe: A Devotional Quest into to The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe





No comments: