Thursday, February 22, 2007

Reflections on Ash Wednesday

from the mom

It was 1994 that I first learned of Ash Wednesday. I was attending a Lutheran college and typically went to chapel whenever I could. This Wednesday it was to be held in the church at the edge of campus instead of the chapel. I followed along with the liturgy amazed at the richness of meaning buried in the Scripture verses we read. And when I bravely went forward to receive the imposition of ashes, I didn't plan on the force that would hit when the minister said: "From ashes you came,to ashes you will return." Thirteen years later it still struck me anew last night.

The "bright sadness" that is Lent is underway. As I have prayed about the purpose of Lent, I have been convicted this year that it is a relationship God wants with me. The denying of self is to that purpose. It isn't that fasting, giving up sweets, or television, in and of itself is what God wants. It is that these things distract us, get in our way, mute our hearing of the still, small voice of the Spirit. It isn't that different than a wife who wishes her husband didn't play video games or watch football. It isn't the activity as much as her desire for his attention, his heart.

This year I'm giving up a few things, but mainly I'm focusing on having a specific prayer time, and living a more contemplative life. This isn't easy with two little ones. But just as I am attuned to the cries of my little daughter, I can train the ear of my heart to be more attune to the voice of God. That is my desire this Lent.

4 comments:

Amy K said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Lent. I've thought more and more about it in the last few years since I've known more people who commemorate it, and have been reading about people who commemorate it. What you say is very convicting--about putting aside distractions to focus on a relationship with God. Thanks, again, for sharing.

Anonymous said...

After leaving behind the Catholic church many years ago, I learned that others "add" something like more prayer to their lives instead of just "giving up something" during Lent. I love that.
Judy

Stephen, Sarah, Nora, Joseph and Isaiah said...

In the Christian community of which we're a part, a number of people we respect celebrate Lent. I had not given it much thought since observing it in my childhood in the Catholic church. After much discussion, Stephen and I decided to commemorate it this year with the goal of being less distracted as we grow closer to the Lord. Even just a few days in, I'm realizing how hard it is to keep the spirit of the season, and yet am just as convicted of the value of persevering...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your thoughts on Lent. They are encouraging.

I left the Catholic church in my 20's because of too many rules/rituals, hypocrisy (a similar reason people leave churches today) and false doctrine (works oriented salvation among other things).

I became a Christian shortly thereafter and since that time I have endeavored to follow the precepts found in God's Holy Word. My RELATIONSHIP with God and Jesus strengthens the older I get and the more crises and trials that come my way.

I look to Him for every need. I am human, as the rest of the lot, but my heart desires to know more of God and to be conformed more to the image of His Son, Jesus Christ. I attempt to walk out my faith in everyday living and to live in peace with my fellow man.

Lent is a good time to reflect on the sacrifice that Christ made on our behalf; it is a good time to "do without" certain things in order to draw closer to God. But shouldn't we be doing that all year long and not just at Lent? Why must we have only one time set aside each year to do that? I just offer a word of caution about getting caught up in the "ritual" of ANY church tradition - Catholic, Episcopal, Baptist, Lutheran, Bible, Charismatic or any other church.

Let us purpose EVERYDAY, as you have so eloquently put it, to train the ear of our heart to be more attune to the voice of God.