Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Be My Valentine

from Ben's mom
I often wonder when trite expressions of affection are being given on this day, if the giver or receiver knows how loaded it is to say "Be My Valentine." While there isn't certainty on whether the name Valentine comes from one person or two, either way one or both St. Valentine's were beheaded for their faith. It is likely that they were two, and the first, a priest was beheaded on Feb. 14 for helping persecuted Christians. The second was a bishop in Terni and secretly married couples when it was forbidden. He was also beheaded.

I was always very careful about my Valentine expressions. I don't celebrate trite love. But deep down St. Valentine's day is a commemoration of real love, the kind that lays down its life. So the next time you say "Be My Valentine" make sure you are ready to be a Valentine.

No comments: